Monday, April 24, 2006

Good evening,

I am still arranging the deck chairs on this ship. If you have any suggestions, I am all ears!

You can gather from my blog roll, where I stand. I do not like blogs that try to pretend that it is something when clearly it is not. Kind of like Fox News claiming to be "fair and balanced". A good motto to have is be true and always keep your sense of humor.

There is a City Council meeting tonight. Due to other priorities, I cannot attend this one.

If your calendar is free, mark this down - Democratic Party State Convention Monday, May 8, 2006 at 6:00 PM. To be held at the West Valley Inn 4 Blossom West Warwick, RI. If you can attend, email info@ridemocrats.org

I cannot attend due to a previous commitment. I am not getting off to a great start here, am I?

Down to business, there has been some anticipation for this blog site for quite a while now. Some of you may know me from my other contributions to the information super highway such as savehorton and ascensioncranston or my postings on Daily Kos or Clark Community Network.

What do I want to do with this site? Well, I am an idealist and I do believe that there are no problems that cannot be solved without enough people-power taking it on. I do not want to just regurgitate information and opinion that you can get from a million other sources but to inspire you to action for the good of all.

One of the biggest issues we have today is public apathy. Increasingly, Americans have become estranged from democracy and each other. Turnout has steadily fallen in every American election over the last 30 years, see the Vanishing Voter Project.

Why are Americans tuning out the democratic process and what can be done about it?

1 comment:

Thomas Kalinowski said...

Why are Americans tuning out the democratic process?

For one thing, politicians (especially Dems) have come to rely on campaign ads rather than on-the-ground organizing. Clearly, the thing to do is devote more money & effort into creating local party organizations. But then, I would say that, wouldn't I?

For another, House districts have gotten too big. When the Constitution was first ratified, there were 30,000 voters per district. Now the number is closer to 500,000. One way to help would be to triple the size of the HoR.

Yet another problem is too many competing distractions for voters. Not much we can do about that.